Ipod playback truncated at around 20-22 mins

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun May 18 06:03:17 PDT 2014

On 18/05/2014 10:53, scrofula 101 wrote:

> Thanks for the above. I installed the ffpmpeg from the ppa and did the
> ffmpeg-radio-opts="-movflags rtphint" to the command line. I am using
> a 6th gen ipod nano. The file I tested now stops at about 7 mins.

I guess I was wrong about that version of ffmpeg being sufficiently
recent.  The PPA presumably provides only old versions for compatibility
reasons.  If you have access to a modern version of ffmpeg (e.g., from
Fedora), it's worth doing another test.

> I tried using Banshee in Linux Mint to transfer files and it went
> through the motions but the files didn't transfer. I have the same
> timestamp flitting around issue mentioned above by Jon. I don't use
> any tagging tools for itunes.

You also may want to try downloading with --no-tag to take AtomicParsley
out of the equation as well.

Another thing to try is re-muxing your .m4a file into another .m4a file
using MP4Box (apt-get install gpac), which will insert the audio into a
fresh MP4 container not constructed by ffmpeg.  You will lose any
metadata tags, though MP4Box supports adding a subset of the fields
supported by AtomicParsley.

If all else fails, you can use --aactomp3 to generate MP3 files and
(hopefully) avoid any MP4 headaches, though it takes extra time in
transcoding.  For Radio 3 programmes, add --mp3vbr=0 for better quality.
  You may want to transcode Radio 3 programmes in iTunes or another tool
instead in order to get higher quality than get_iplayer delivers. As to
the resulting audio, you'd have to decide for yourself if it's good
enough.  Caveat listener.