Ipod playback truncated at around 20-22 mins

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sat May 17 04:14:31 PDT 2014

scrofula 101 <scrofula101 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Having problems with get_iplayer in Linux Mint 16 for a while now. Using
>current version 2.86. All the radio files I obtain playback fine on the
>computer but when I transfer them to ipod nano using itunes on Windows
>8.1 they cut out at around 20-22 mins and it skips to the next track.
>Shorter files are fine. Podcasts are fine. Using Windows version of
>get_iplayer to fetch new copies of the files to the Windows partition
>results in no problems with playback in full. No error messages in
>Linux. I use itunes as I prefer it for getting the track order of files
>the right way. File system on Linux is ext3.
>
>Very puzzled by this. Any suggestions?

Are the versions of helper applications - rtmpdump, ffmpeg etc the same on
both Windows & Linux?

Are the file formats that you end up with of the same type in both places?

Does iTunes do some sort of file conversion as it moves files?

If you do a theoretically-unnecessary file conversion on the files before
giving them to iTunes to process, do they then work ok?  Eg, even if the
ipod is ok with eg aac files, how about converting them to mp3?

You say you use iTunes so you end up with "the right track order"; I've
never used iTunes but I was under the impression you had to use that to move
files into Apple i-things.  (My mp3 player just looks like a mass storage
device to Windows so moving files around is dead easy.)  But... if there's
an alternative way to get the files to your nano, it would be worth knowing
if they play ok if they've not been handled by iTunes.

I process podcasts which I download from here and there with scripts which
run various command-line id3 tag tools to query files' attributes and, for
example, to set 'track numbers' to date-based mmdd values.  It may be that
whatever track order handling you're using iTunes for can be done just as
easily some other way, but that won't help much if you have to use iTunes to
get the files to the nano.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.