windows version of iplayer - output format

Christopher Woods christopher at custommade.org.uk
Tue May 6 03:56:24 PDT 2014

For what it's worth, the iPlayer uses AAC audio for all radio (in an M4A
wrapper) - if your media player can handle M4A, and if it's vaguely modern
it should, then I urge you to keep the original quality AAC downloads.

If you ask get_iplayer to convert them to MP3, it will download the
compressed AAC then *recompress* to MP3 yielding inferior quality audio.

Regards
Chris