Podcasts stopped transferring to iPad

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 16:10:32 EDT 2014

On 25/03/2014 10:16, SquarePenguin wrote:
> If things are being tagged correctly and are showing in iTunes as
> podcasts, it would suggest the you are a yet another victim of the
> Podcast app's flaws.

That was my conclusion when I ran into this problem and discovered that
the get_iplayer files tagged as podcasts still synced with my old iPod
just fine.  It appears that the podcast files are being copied across to
iOS devices, but the Podcast app doesn't recognise m4a files unless they
were downloaded via podcast subscription or had their Media Kind flipped
to Music and then back to Podcast.  That flip doesn't make any change to
the file except removing and re-adding the "pcst" atom that flags it as
a podcast.  I thought the flip might set something in  iTunes, but a
peek at the iTunes library didn't turn up anything.  Files from
get_iplayer have the same data as m4a files downloaded via podcast
subscription.  So no idea what the secret sauce is.  It might have
something to do with the internal method of adding a file to the special
podcasts playlist being somehow different from dragging the file onto
iTunes or dropping it in the iTunes hot folder.  You can't change Media
Kind in AppleScript, so I'm not sure if there is any workaround.
Whatever the cause, it's moot as far as get_iplayer is concerned.  All
AtomicParsley can do is set the "pcst" atom, which still works as it
should.