Problem with thumbnails

Budgie ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 04:35:09 EDT 2014

On 18/03/14 23:02, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 18/03/2014 12:15, dinkypumpkin wrote:
>> There are a couple of things going on:
>>
>> 1. The default thumbnail URL generated by get_iplayer appears to no
>> longer be valid for some programmes.  For now, always use an explicit
>> --thumbsize=n, where n=1-6, or add it to your preferences.  If you
>> forget and get a solid grey thumbnail, you can use --thumbsize with
>> --thumbnail-only to re-download the thumbnail image.
>>
>> 2. The AtomicParsley error only occurs on Windows, and only with
>> get_iplayer HEAD.  I'm not sure why it has only begun to show up now,
>> but one of my earlier changes must have fallen foul of yet another
>> Windows gotcha.  For the moment, stick with the release version on
>> Windows until I can sort it out.
>

> Fixes for both the above are now in get_iplayer HEAD.  The most
> important thing is to make sure #2 is fixed.  If anyone sees Windows
> AtomicParsley choking on thumbnails with latest HEAD, post the affected
> programme episode here.  The issue never existed on other systems -
> Windows only. As for #1, if you use the Web PVR you will still come
> across solid grey thumbnails in the search results until the old
> thumbnail URLs are flushed out of your caches over time.  However, the
> downloaded files should have the correct thumbnail embedded.  Since the
> Beeb splattered iPlayer with solid grey thumbnails, I can't help but
> think it may a temporary problem on their side, but there is no point in
> waiting to see if that's the case.

Hi,
Sorry to be so ignorant but I have the solid grey thumbnail problem and
would like to fix.  Trouble is

1.	I have no idea what thumbsize to use.  How can I tell what has been
used up until now.  Will experiment but then...

2.	Have used openSUSE repo version to date.  I am most grateful as are
we all for dinkypumpkin's prompt fix.  I assume HEAD is a Git thing but
please could somebody point me to the idiots guide on how to find and
install.

Alastair.