Fw: Confirming Membership of List

Mark Rogers mark at quarella.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 09:01:03 PDT 2014

On 1 July 2014 16:48, TQ <tony at tqvideo.co.uk> wrote:

> And unbelievably stupid. I'm sure though, were it to be checked, that at
> least one person (and probably more) on this mailing list is guilty.

My experience suggests you're right. But it also suggests that people
who use the same password for everything rarely have anything close to
a good password even then. Sending it to their registered email
address once a month doesn't expose it to casual onlookers, and anyone
prepared to put a bit of effort into finding it out could probably do
so from various easier sources than sniffing their network traffic to
read the monthly emails.

A bigger concern is this idea that somehow this list is anything to do
with hacking BBC's servers. Unless using iPlayer on the BBC's website
would similarly constitute hacking (I know different people have
different definitions of hacking but that's a pretty weird one even
so). Nonsense like that can only serve to damage the list and
get_iplayer if given any credence; not everyone will check the
validity of an accusation these days before acting on it.

Registered in England (0456 0902) @ 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG