BBC Archive Blues Collections

michael norman michaeltnorman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 08:37:24 EST 2014

On 21/02/14 11:45, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 19/02/2014 14:10, michael norman wrote:
>> To be specific I would like to find the pids for the programmes here
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/collections/p01m79bn/blues
>>
>> and download them either individually or as a batch
>
> There are some things you can download as a batch, but not these.  That
> page links to a number of episodes from different series, thus the
> "/collections/" in the URL.  Use Ben's handy spreadsheet to scrape the
> PIDs and download them directly.  You can't download those 11 programmes
> as a batch because they are not part of a series.  They just happen to
> be linked from the same page, and get_iplayer doesn't have the ability
> to scrape arbitrary links from a page.
>
> If you want to download a series as a batch, find the PID from its
> series home page.  For example, Devil's Blues Series 2:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00ljwxp
>
> Then use --pid-recursive:
>
> get_iplayer --pid=p00ljwxp --pid-recursive
>
> The XML::Simple Perl module is required for --pid-recursive.  If you're
> on OSX or Windows, you should have it installed.  If you're on
> Linux/Unix, you may not.  get_iplayer will warn you if you don't.  If
> not installed see:
>
> https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/manual#wiki-manual-perl

That is most helpful Thank you.

In this instance as I posted already Ben's spreadsheet enabled me to get
all the programmes individually and they play fine.

I will bear in mind your info about downloading a series as a batch, not
something I imagine wanting to do in the future but helpful to know anyway.

Michael