BBC live streaming stopped working

ross the.ross.bradley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 06:46:18 EST 2014

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:42:08 -0700
JCA <1.41421 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using the following incantation to stream BBC News to my Linux
> system:
>
> get_iplayer --stream --modes=flashvhigh2,flashhigh2,flashstd2
> --nopurge --type=livetv "BBC News" --player="mplayer -vo xv -cache 128
> -fs -stop-xscreensaver -zoom -"
>
> This used to work until recently (a few weeks ago) but it now fails
> systematically.

Hi,

Without being any kind of expert re DNS and most of get_iplayer. The
best I can offer is that livestreaming is working fine this end. Using
the following;

./get_iplayer --stream --modes=flashvhigh2,flashhigh2,flashstd2
--type=livetv "BBC News" --player="cvlc - &> /dev/null" --rtmpport 443

Also just to clear some stuff up....

>"This used to work until recently (a few weeks ago) but it now fails
>systematically."

>"Now I am doing this from a system in the US, with the help of
>Unblock-Us."

It used to work whilst you were in the UK and now your in the US it
doesn't? but does via your browser if using the unblock-Us service?
Sounds like you need to utilise the proxy settings in get_iplayer

get_iplayer --help-long | grep "proxy"

After looking into proxy's perhaps its worth setting the --verbose tag
getting the output in a paste then posting a link to that here for
further investigation.

Just a note i'v never used the proxy settings of GIP, rather setup ssh
tunnels to the uk then used GIP as normal

Ross.