iPlayerRadio (finally - and sadly) has changed!

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Feb 12 13:00:43 EST 2014

Hello

 Today I am finding that
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio
now redirects to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/
exposing the new interface to the radio part of BBC iPlayer.
(see also http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/welcome)

 This of course did not come out of the blue, for months now we
were told that "BBC iPlayerRadio is changing", seems that from
this week on this change has become permanent :-(.
 Well, I hate this new GUI, I find it most user-unfriendly; as a
non-UK user, radio content is all I am normally entitled to (albeit in
low-only quality), this new change has made my overall
experience much worse...
 I have found out that the best thing to do to approximate the old
GUI is to click "Schedule" on the top banner:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/schedules
have this open and from there open in a new tab the schedule for an
individual station I'm interested in...From the "schedule" pages, AOD
content
opens up only in the "new" format, e.g. last Sunday's Official Chart
is available on this URL only:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03thv4n
>From there, you can either listen to it on the embedded player or the
pop-up (console) one. There is no immediate link to invoke the old
GUI player page, but I have tested and for now this is still possible
manually by typing an old-style URL like this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03thv4n/

As far as get_iplayer is concerned, the "new" AOD pages use the
v5 mediaselector,
http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/pc/vpid/[vPID]
while get_iplayer uses for both TV & radio content the "old" v4 one,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/4/mtis/stream/[vPID]
which was/is used by the "old" iplayerradio Listen-Again pages...
The vPID string is obtained from the playlist URL:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/[PID]
(look for "mediator identifier").
In the recent past, there had been problems reported by GiP users that
the v4-ms pointed (and thus GiP recorded) to different audio content to the
one available via v5-ms on the "new" AOD pages...

For now, GiP works OK for radio, but should face problems when/if
v4 mediaselector stops working for radio shows or is totally axed in
favour of the v5 one...

OT: A month ago I lost to stroke my widower father - I now spend on line
only ~ 10% of the time I used to prior to that, as I must now struggle for
survival
in a shattered household and country (with close to 30% unemployment
rate...).
Thanks to all those that offered advice and solutions over the 3.5 years
since I joined
this list (especially dinky), I myself  have provided help for some people,
too.
Will continue to read the list from time to time, my contributions will be
scarcer though :-(

Vangelis