James May - Flight Club

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Mon Dec 29 14:37:30 PST 2014

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 22:06:32 -0000, Peter S Kirk wrote:

>> How does one explain Click, the entire last 12 months of episodes are in
>> the cache. Or HARDTalk that appears to go back to 2011. Newswatch
>> 17/01/2014 to 13/09/2014. Prime Ministers Questions last 12 months.
>> Question Time 09/01/2014 to 10/07/2014. Scottish First Minister's
>> Questions last 12 months. This Week 09/01/2014 to 11/09/2014. Welsh First
>> Minister's Questions last 12 months. Common factor appears to be they are
>> all the product of the News department...
>
> Imho, its not important what is or is not in the cache.

The above was more a rant at the inconsistency of the BBC rather than
anything else. If some programmes are listed in the cache for the last 12
months why aren't all? OK the cache would then be about 30 Meg, which might
be getting a bit unwieldy.

> A google search will find the direct link to the iplayer page to copy and
> paste into the PVR.

I only run get_iplayer from the command line on a Raspberry. I do have a
simple wrapper script so I don't have to remember/type the static
information though.

> Most important is that GiP works,

Double plus 1.

> I consider the PVR cache a bonus feature and accept its limitations.

I have half a dozen or so permanent PVR searches to grab various programmes
if/when they appear. Things like The Sky at Night or picking up an episode
of a series that was missed for some reason. I just need to run with the
--pvr option every few days and anything that matches "just arrives". When
the 30 day retention came in I thought I would be able to relax the few days
to less than once a week. Doing a web search for each of those programmes
then sorting through the hits to spot what is new would be a right PITA.

--
Cheers
Dave.