James May - Flight Club

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Mon Dec 29 12:49:28 PST 2014

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 18:41:11 +0000, Andy Stevens wrote:

>> James May's Toy Stories - Flight Club (pid b01pmbmx) is not being listed
>> in the tv.cache but is available on iplayer (16 odd days left to watch)
>
> <= 23 days sounds to me like it was broadcast over a week ago,

Sun 14 Dec.

> Because it's still within the new & improved 30 days availability period
> the bbc now provide.

OK, does the real iPlayer downloader have the same (confusing) restriction?
Can it see everything for 30 days?

> At least, that's how I understood the accompanying notes from some of the
> recent fixes.  Less than a week it's in the cache. More than a week and
> less than a month you have to find it on the web site and download via pid
> or url.

Ah, ISTR something like that. Doh!

I see there is a "timeadded" field in the tv.cache. Scope for the cache
maintenance code to not remove something from the cache for 30 days after
that date. It wouldn't be fool proof though as it looks like the "timeadded"
is when the entry gets written to the cache rather than when it became
available from iPlayer. It could be modified by the "episode" field or
perhaps the "available" but in my cache that is only ever "Unknown".

> Unless it's an older "series catch up" episode, in which case it
> may still be in the cache too, but that's less common now that things are
> generally available for 30 days.

How does one explain Click, the entire last 12 months of episodes are in the
cache. Or HARDTalk that appears to go back to 2011. Newswatch 17/01/2014 to
13/09/2014. Prime Ministers Questions last 12 months. Question Time
09/01/2014 to 10/07/2014. Scottish First Minister's Questions last 12
months. This Week 09/01/2014 to 11/09/2014. Welsh First Minister's Questions
last 12 months. Common factor appears to be they are all the product of the
News department...

--
Cheers
Dave.