Seeking advice on transfer to new computer

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Mon Dec 29 03:40:35 PST 2014

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 23:36:27 +0000, Roger Bell_West wrote:

>> As the download_history is in the current users space what happens on a
>> multi user system when more than one user requests the same programme?
>> Does it get downloaded for each individual user request?
>
> Tempted as I am to say "try it and see", the answer is yes.
>
> You could get clever with a group-writeable history file and multiple
> links to it, I suppose, but I don't think anyone's complained about
> the current system. It's what a program on a multi-user machine is
> expected to do: the actions of user A don't affect user B.

True enough, I guess it comes from being on the 'net since the early '90's
via dialup and paying for every second of online time. Even these days I
only normally buy 100 GB/month and that can get a bit tight.

Implimenting a single file store and maintianing inter-user "privacy" would
be too complicated. A file store that was open and avoided duplicate
downloads should be a lot easier, the various cache files could usefully
come into this as well. Programme file owned rw by whoever downloaded it,
group readable, an option to turn it on with a given path (defaults to no
path - off), cache files rw by group.

Just an idea, I don't expect to see anything unless the itch I have gets to
great and I scratch it.  B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.