Support for live radio Shoutcast streams

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Dec 14 21:27:12 PST 2014

On Sun Dec 14 23:41:56 GMT 2014, Christopher Woods wrote:

> They're already available (but as AAC, not MP3)

 Hello, Christopher.
These Shoutcast AAC streams have been available
(though kept semi-clandestine by the beeb) for more
than three and a half years, see:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?s=0ed858cc0d2f88baedb7e055be968598&t=1473061

and you can rest assured I made good use of them,
both for listening and for recording (!).

My impression is from reading the BBC Blog entry
I referenced earlier in this thread that they are planning
to issue new MP3 Shoutcast streams as a substitute
for the WMA live streams - to be killed on Dec 31st -
for older digital devices that still rely on them and are
not compatible with the AAC codec.
We'll have to wait and see what they'll do;
maybe as yet another cost cutting measure
they'll convert the existing Shoutcast AAC streams to
Shoutcast MP3 ones (quite easy to do) and
keep the higher quality AAC codec only for
AppleHLS streams (already in use), AdobeHDS
ones (announced for sometime in 2015) and
MPEG-DASH ones (already experimented with).

Cheers