Subtitles Round 3

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 18:16:54 EDT 2013

For those who won't read the 2.84 release notes: I've scrapped the
additional subtitle formats except for "compact", which I'm keeping as
an option for anyone with hardware players that don't wrap subtitles.
The "break" and "basic" formats were arguably worse than the default
format, so not worth keeping.  Everyone to whom I showed the changes
preferred the current format, which no one had ever complained about
anyway, afaik.  It seemed pointless to have so many variations that no
one was clamouring for.  If the BBC should somehow see sense and revert
to the old format, the door is open to bring back colours.  As it is,
the new format precludes even marking changes of speaker within
subtitles, so best to keep things simple for and get out a release to
restore subtitle capability for new programmes.  What can I say?  I got
carried away.

Bottom line:  If your player won't wrap subtitles or the default display
is too wide for your taste, use --subsfmt=compact.

I've rebased my subtitles branch against 2.84 release. I'll leave it on
GitHub for a couple of weeks if anyone wants to grab the code for their
own use.

Full script:

https://raw.github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/feature/subtitles/get_iplayer

Patch against v2.84: