Changed subtitle format

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 19:44:19 EDT 2013

On 23/09/2013 23:16, Rob Dixon wrote:
> In theory there could be *many* lines of text in a subtitle that, if
> concatenated into a single line, would reach beyond the width of the
> screen.

For most people, that's down to whether or not their player wraps
subtitles.  All the ones I have wrap by default, but that's not
necessarily a representative sampling.

> Remember also that separate lines are used to indicate different
> speakers, and that information is being lost at present.

Unfortunately, that's not how the subtitles arrive from the Beeb.  There
are line breaks within a single speaker's lines, and sometimes no line
break or other structural change to demarcate the transition between
speakers in a single subtitle.  The old format has text colour changes
to mark transition between speakers in a single subtitle, but the newer
format doesn't appear to use that device.  The iPlayer site ignored it
anyway.  The translation to SRT will always have some unavoidable glitches.