Get_iPlayer as a Service under Windows Home Server 2011 ?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 13:31:40 EDT 2013

On 08/09/2013 10:17, Simon Morgan wrote:
> Has anyone implemented Get_iPlayer as a Service under Windows Home Server
> 2011?
>
> Currently I use the PVR interface and I appreciate that this would not be
> possible as a Service but does anyone have any suggestions as to whether and
> how I could implement this?

It would help if you explained what you're trying to accomplish.  There
may be a better way to get where you want to go than using a Windows
service.

get_iplayer itself isn't at all suitable to run as a service.  It lacks
a proper entry point, can only be invoked via the command line and isn't
designed to be long-lived.  I think a lot of work would be required to
remove those limitations.  At the very least, you would need to
implement some sort of wrapper service that called out to get_iplayer.

The Web PVR is closer to the mark since it can already run as a daemon,
it already has a communications protocol (HTTP) and it already wraps
calls to get_iplayer. If you're just looking for a way to start the Web
PVR at boot time, you might be able to use srvany.exe or a similar
utility or Perl module to deal with the the service control manager and
handle starting/stopping the Web PVR server when necessary.
Alternatively, it might be better just to work out the necessary
incantations to run the Web PVR as a CGI application with Apache or
another Windows web server that runs as a service.