Cannot get version 2.84 windows installer to work

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 14:52:20 EDT 2013

On 29/10/2013 11:34, Mark Fellows wrote:
> I've been having these problems for a few weeks now. Followed all
> instructions to the letter but still can't get anything to download.

According to this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/get_iplayer@lists.infradead.org/msg04994.html

you could previously install get_iplayer 2.84 but found something
interfering with the downloads.  Now you say that something is
interfering with the installer, which apparently worked fine at the time
of your earlier post.  The obvious question: What changed in the
intervening 3 weeks?

Assuming you don't know the answer to that question, my guess is still
that the likely culprit is your antivirus or some other security package
you may be running.  The installer requires privilege elevation to run,
so the system would either display a UAC prompt or silently refuse to
launch the installer (depending on settings) if you didn't have the
requisite privileges.  Running the installer as administrator won't help
if your antivirus is interfering with it.  Avast is a known offender.

If you still can't identify the problem, I suggest you use ProcMon to
look for clues.  If you don't know how to use ProcMon, some basic
instructions for monitoring the installer are at the beginning of this
forum post:

http://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/reply/reply-to-unable-to-install-4/

In the log, look for indications that an antivirus-related DLL is being
loaded.  Also look for HTTP requests from the installer being routed to
the loopback address (127.0.0.1).  That would signify that a security
application is operating a proxy that may be rejecting the requests.