Downloading embedded video files

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 21:07:42 EDT 2013

On 17/10/2013 01:46, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
> Looking at the website URL you mentioned that doesn't say anything about a
> pid for a video, but if I follow the Videos link near the top of the page
> to:
>
>   http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00z6mpg
>
> I do find a list of videos.  These don't seemt to be mentioned in my
> tv.cache file.  So does that mean that some entries in the radio.cache are
> for videos?  If so, can GiP cope with that?  Surely it will use
> audio-related utilities to process any file it manages to download?

Those videos won't be in the TV cache because they're not provided via
the iPlayer site.  When you use --pid, get_iplayer will look for media
streams corresponding to the PID regardless of whether or not it's in
the cache.

> I did manage to get something, using a command:
>
>   get_iplayer --type=radio --verbose --long --fatfilename
>     --whitespace --file-prefix "R=<name> E=<episode>"
>     --aactomp3 --no-tag --get "6 Music Live at Maida Vale.*mccartney"
>
> but I don't really know if it is audio or video, or maybe a video file
> that's had audio extracted from it.

It's the audio of the same programme.  It was broadcast on 6 Music and
is made available on the iPlayer site, thus it's in the radio programme
cache.