Duration time stamp jumps around in VLC playing downloaded radio.

MS jmstanfield at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 04:34:37 EST 2013

On 18/11/13 20:38, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
> On 18/11/13 20:59, MS wrote:
>> When playing radio programmes I've downloaded using get_iplayer in VLC
>> the duration time jumps around instead of displaying an accurate fixed
>> time, it constantly changes (usually in the region of 2-3 mins longer
>> than the real duration). The playing time works correctly, each second
>> ticking over at the correct rate, and the audio plays fine.
>> […]
>> ...Download complete
>> avconv version 0.8.9-4:0.8.9-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2013
>> the Libav developers built on Nov  9 2013 19:08:00 with gcc 4.6.3
>> [flv @ 0x153a9c0] max_analyze_duration reached
>> [flv @ 0x153a9c0] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
>> Input #0, flv, from '/my/edit/path/to/file.partial.mp3.flv...
>>
>> Any ideas what's going wrong and how to fix this?
>
> Sounds a bit like a missing or broken „xing header” in the MP3 file that
> helps the player to figure out how much of the audio was already played.
>   Maybe installing the mp3diags package can help you to identify and fix
> the MP3 file.
>
> Ciao,
> 	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Actually Marc I can already fix the MP3 files, as I wrote in my post, by
re-encoding each MP3 file with Lame.

I'm just wondering why this is happening with every single radio
download I make (that's converted to MP3 by get_iplayer which I
require). Clearly something is not working properly but I don't know what.

Thanks.