Tagging problem when using pvr (Was recent issue with AtomicParsley)

Budgie ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 15:22:38 EST 2013

Hi Jeremy and dinkypumpkin

On 11/11/13 19:20, dinkypumpkin wrote:
[snip]

> It depends on how you're launching the web pvr.  If you're launching it
> from the prompt while logged in with the same account and using the same
> output directory, it shouldn't work any differently than the cli.  If
> you're doing something else, explain what it is.

web pvr?!!  I just set up my pvr download list using cli.  It is run as
a cron job in the early hours.

> The first thing to do is to establish if AP is running.  Download
> something in the web pvr and look at the output in the download window.
>   Any output related to AP will be at the bottom.  It it dies or cannot
> be launched by get_iplayer, there should be an error message.  If it
> works, you'll see this:
>
> INFO: MP4 tagging M4A file
>
> Started writing to temp file.
> Progress: =======================================================>100%
> Finished writing to temp file.

AP runs fine when I do downloads from cli.
What I can do now is to remove a recent pvr download from download
history and run it again, however this will still be from cli whereas I
suspect the cron job will be a different account.  Hence my suspicion
that it is a permissions issue.

> Assuming it runs OK, you can use AP to do a quick check on the file:
>
> AtomicParsley <filename> -t
>
> should print out the tags.

When I run AP on the file from nightly pvr run the only tag I get is
Atom "©too" contains: Lavf55.12.100
So no tagging there.
When I run it on the same file downloaded using cli I get half a page of
tag info and all as it should be.

>> I've never used the PVR so don't know if what I'm going to say makes
>> sense.
>> Possibly specifying   --verbose   somewhere - in a command string or
>> in the
>> preferences file(?) might produce more detailed output (or does the
>> PVR hide
>> that from you?) enabling you to see what happens.

> You would indeed have to use --prefs-add and --prefs-del with --verbose
> to add/remove it in the options file in order for it work with the web
> pvr.  But --verbose may not be much help.  All it does is print the AP
> command invoked by get_iplayer.  Before going that far, do as I
> suggested above to establish what is actually happening on your machine.

OK.  I can easily add --verbose if needed.  I shall try running pvr from
cli as noted above first.  If that does not give me the problem I shall
need to fiddle about a bit to set up a new cron job but I am not sure
how I can arrange to see what is happening as cron jobs run in
background.  Back to my linux primer I think!

Regards,
Budgie.