Radio 1 webcam: what's th­e correct mode now?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 15:48:37 EST 2013

On 03/03/2013 18:30, Имя отправителя писем wrote:
> Hello,
> it's been a week an the stream is live,
> this is what you've suggested to do:
>
>>From above, this URL:
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/4/mtis/stream/bbc_radio_one_video_live
>>
>> should return the parameters for the webcam stream (what you would see
>> with --streaminfo for an iPlayer programme).  If it doesn't, something
>> may be wrong with the BBC metadata.  At the moment, it returns this:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><mediaSelection
>> xmlns="http://bbc.co.uk/2008/mp/mediaselection"><error
>> id="notavailable"/></mediaSelection>
>>
>> But that is no doubt because the stream is off-line at the moment.  I
>> think you'll need to do any checks while the stream is live.  There is
>> no way to check it after it goes off-line.
>
> well, erm, the stream is live just now but the result from the mediaselector URL is just the same as above.
> get_iplayer output has changed though, it can select the stream, but then:
>
> INFO: Checking existence of default version
> INFO: flashvhigh1,flashvhigh2,flashhigh1,flashhigh2,flashstd1,flashstd2 modes wi
> ll be tried for version default
> INFO: Trying flashvhigh1 mode to record livetv:  -
> INFO: File name prefix = BBC_Radio_1_Live_Video_2013-03-03_182414
>
> RTMPDump 2.4 git-6230845 2011-9-25
> (c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
> WARNING: You haven't specified an output file (-o filename), using stdout
> Connecting ...
> INFO: Connected...
> ERROR: Closing connection: NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound
> INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
>
> we'll need to try something else then.
> Any chance BBC mediaservers started to reject the useragent string used by get_iplayer?

Nothing to do with the user agent.  Last week the chart show playlist
was incorrect, pointing get_iplayer to a "bbc_radio_one_video_live"
service that didn't exist.  It was fixed this week, now pointing to a
"bbc_radio_one_video" service that returns the necessary stream
descriptors.  However, since you are trying to stream your programme to
VLC rather than record it to disk, get_iplayer stops if the stream isn't
available from the first CDN it connects with
(NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound above).  If you look at the download log
Vangelis posted, you'll see that his first attempt (flashvhigh1) fails
and get_iplayer rolls over to the other CDN (flashvhigh2).  That
rollover doesn't occur when you're streaming rather than recording.  The
workaround is to change --modes=best to --modes=flashvhigh2 to access a
specific CDN when attempting to stream the programme.  If that returns a
similar error, switch to --modes=flashvhigh1, flipping back and forth if
necessary until you get a connection.  That is because the "1" and "2"
may refer to different CDNs for different invocations of get_iplayer
(the BBC metadata is generated dynamically).