Is it a repeat?

Chris Marriott chris at chrism.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 28 03:26:21 EDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: dinkypumpkin
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:19 PM
To: get_iplayer
Subject: Re: Is it a repeat?

>On 27/06/2013 12:52, Ian macdonald wrote:
>> Does this mean the PID stays the same, regardless of how many times
>> the program is repeated?
>
>I think so. Even after they roll off iPlayer, programmes are still
>catalogued in the episode lists their series' sites, so I presume that
>identifiers are meant to be long-lived.

Yes, the PID for a particular programme sticks with it for repeats. I have
something like 3 years' download history on my PC, and often get told that
I've previously downloaded a programme when it's a repeat within that
timeframe.

That's why I say that, although you can't use the PID to tell with any
degree of accuracy WHEN a programme was first broadcast, you can often
identify from the PID that a program IS a repeat. All current programmes
have a PID starting in "B03x", so if you find a program with a "B01" or
"B00" PID you know for certain that it's a repeat, and a "B02" PID, although
not 100% definitely a repeat, very likely is. (The occasional "Pxxx" PIDs
don't fit into this pattern, of course).

I don't know if this is of any practical use to anyone; it's simply what
I've observed, given that I always download via PIDs.

Chris