rtmpdump version error

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 19:45:26 EDT 2013

On 27/06/2013 01:08, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
> emmesse at btopenworld.com wrote:
>
>> So I uninstalled Quicktime and rebooted.  New get_iplayer started working
>> fine.
>
> That strongly implies that there was a copy of rtmpdump somewhere inside the
> Quicktime program folder, and that that copy was older than the one GiP is
> using.

That's not the case AFAICT. I couldn't see anything RTMP-related,
anyway.  Given rtmpdump's status and history, I rather doubt it would be
incorporated into QT Player. Besides, the OP tested for another rtmpdump
in PATH, but none came up.

>> I re-installed Quicktime and all still ok.
>
> This makes me think that the Quicktime installer modifies PATH by adding the
> Quicktime program folder onto the end of the existing set of folders.  Did
> you keep note of what the PATH definition was before you uninstalled
> Quicktime, and do you see now that the folder order has changed?

I think you're on the right track here.  Without being able to see it, I
don't know how QT or some other installer could have messed up the PATH
environment environment variable, but it does set/unset that variable on
install and uninstall, so there is scope for something to go wrong.

The bottom line is that if PATH doesn't contain %SystemRoot\system32, or
is malformed so that directory is effectively missing, then rtmpdump
won't run, leading to the get_iplayer errors.