[ANN] get_iplayer 2.83 released

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 13:57:23 EDT 2013

On 22/06/2013 23:48, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I see you're moving away from the web site on www.infradead.org?

I presume you're referring to the material scraped from linuxcentre.net
and posted in the GitHub wiki.  It's nothing against infradead.org.  I
just don't have the time or inclination to turn that stuff into a web
site.  I only want to be able to bash out a bit of Markdown and get
things updated quickly, as well as give other people a relatively easy
means to contribute, so wiki it is.  I'm hoping it will help a bit with
knowledge capture, but for the moment it's mostly a time-saving device.

If someone wants to fashion that content into a proper web site, they're
free to use the wiki as raw material.  It would make a pretty terrible
web site as-is given that the content is derived from disconnected blog
posts and brain dumps.  A proper web site would require more editorial
effort than I can provide.

> Do you want me to take the existing site down, or make it redirect to
> github?

No.  As someone else pointed out, the Windows installer needs the web
site to function.  As for a redirect, I don't see any need for that.  I
added a link to the github wiki in the get_iplayer page at
infradead.org, so anyone who wants to read some documentation can find
it if they want to.  By the same token, the wiki has infradead.org
download links and I've replaced the infradead.org copy with a link back
to the infradead.org get_iplayer page, so it should hopefully be obvious
to anyone reading the GitHub wiki that the infradead.org site is out there.

> Or would you rather I fix something else so it can stay where it was?

I don't know what "something else" you're referring to here.  Everything
on www.infradead.org is exactly as it has always been.