Recording from http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/festivals/glastonbury/archive/

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 08:20:52 EDT 2013

On 12/06/2013 12:01, Chris Dunne wrote:
> Apologies if this has already been asked (I've only quickly browsed
> the archives so could have missed it).
>
> Anyway there are quite a few videos on
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/festivals/glastonbury/archive/ that I would
> like a recording of (i.e.
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/a74b1b7f-71a5-4011-9441-d0b5e4122711)
> I assume the content is on Iplayer because the videos have the Iplayer
> logo yet I can't seem to find them with getiplayer (i.e. by searching
> for "glastonbury").

As you tell from the URL, this clip:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/a74b1b7f-71a5-4011-9441-d0b5e4122711

is not on iPlayer, and get_iplayer doesn't know how to process that
page.  I'm not sure it ever could since the necessary playlist
information is generated dynamically in the browser.  For those clips
that are actually flagged as being on iPlayer, you should click through
to the actual episode page and use its URL, which will look something like:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01b3xs4/Glastonbury_2013_Janelle_Monae_Tightrope_at_Glastonbury_2011/

> I've tried to find the urls for iplayer from the page source but
> getiplayer doesn't seem to like this
>
> i.e: "get_iplayer.cmd http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007r6vx" returns
>
> "INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007r6vx using type: tv
> INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
> INFO: pid not found in tv cache
> WARNING: No programmes are available for this pid"

get_iplayer doesn't process URLs containing "/programmes/" and this is a
good example why.  This is a "brand" page containing no actual embedded
media, just links to a lot of other clips.  Very occasionally,
"/programmes/" URLs do refer to a page containing a single media clip
from iPlayer.  In that case, you can take the PID from the URL

get_iplayer --pid p01b3xs4

But - don't try that here.  get_iplayer will just start spidering a lot
of useless links from the brand page.