Errors on Get_iPlayer

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 14:58:52 EDT 2013

On 11/06/2013 10:20, J K.Eason wrote:
>> *From:* Nicholas Youell <nik.youell at btinternet.com>
>> *To:* john at jeason.cix.co.uk
>> *Date:* Tue, 11 Jun 2013 08:33:18 +0100
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Not a Ubuntu user but this link may help on avconv
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11234662/how-to-compile-avconv-wi
>> th-libx264-on-ubuntu-12-04
>>
>> This tells you how to download and compile the code. Its a 64 bit
>> version but you can alter the libs if to are 32 bit.
>>
>> I have tested the second part of your issue and the update works. I
>> can
>> download programs now.
>>
>> I am a fedora based man and ffmpeg works just fine.
>>
>> Nik.
>
>   Please reply to the list, not to me.
>
> I normally use get_iplayer under Windows here, but it does work fine
> under Ubuntu (13.04) with the avconv error, which is why I suggested
> ignoring it.

Let's knock this on the head:

1. You can safely ignore the scary "THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED" message
from ffmpeg on Debian and its derivatives (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.).  No
doubt the libav gang will eliminate it eventually, but it won't be for a
while, and ...

2. The upcoming release of get_iplayer will automatically use avconv if
it is detected on your system, though you can always override it with
--ffmpeg to revert to ffmpeg itself or use a custom build.  This is
already in Git HEAD for anyone who wants to give it a whirl.  Obviously,
this will no affect on distros that have kept ffmpeg rather than moving
to libav.

3. Nobody needs to build avconv to use with get_iplayer, though there's
nothing to stop you from doing so.  The packaged version works fine.
However, if you want to use the --aactomp3 option on Ubuntu I think you
need to install the libavcodec-extra package to have access to an mp3
encoder.  That package includes a number of useful encoders, including
x264.