RTMP failing with send error

get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net
Thu Jun 6 09:56:38 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 14:41 +0100, Philip Colmer wrote:
> > I'm getting this same error this morning intermittently on everything I
> try to
> > download. If you leave it a few minutes and then try again, it'll
> generally
> > work. Perhaps a problem with the BBC's server?
>
> Or have they made a change that is now blocking get_iplayer?

I too noticed downloads not working, but just trying again has been
enough for me to get one going:

$ get_iplayer --modes=flashhigh --nopurge 885 -g
get_iplayer v2.82, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use
--warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

Matches:
885:	The Iraq War - 2. After the Fall, BBC Two,
Factual,Guidance,Highlights,History,Politics,TV, default,

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: flashhigh1,flashhigh2 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashhigh1 mode to record tv: The Iraq War - 2. After the
Fall
INFO: File name prefix =
The_Iraq_War_-_2._After_the_Fall_b02w1gth_default
RTMPDump v2.4
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license:
GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
Caught signal: 13, cleaning up, just a second...
ERROR: WriteN, RTMP send error 32 (42 bytes)
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Failed to stream
file /home/USERNAME/scratch/The_Iraq_War_-_2._After_the_Fall_b02w1gth_default.partial.mp4.flv via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashhigh1 mode
INFO: Trying flashhigh2 mode to record tv: The Iraq War - 2. After the
Fall
INFO: File name prefix =
The_Iraq_War_-_2._After_the_Fall_b02w1gth_default
RTMPDump v2.4
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license:
GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Failed to stream
file /home/USERNAME/scratch/The_Iraq_War_-_2._After_the_Fall_b02w1gth_default.partial.mp4.flv via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashhigh2 mode
ERROR: Failed to record 'The Iraq War - 2. After the Fall (b02w1gth)'

But just repeating the command and the download started. I guess the BBC
have rolled out a change which hasn't taken yet on all the machines that
make up their various clusters? Something like that.

[...]

Starting download at: 0.000 kB
INFO: Metadata:
3715.515 kB / 38.84 sec