Netiquette - bottom posting - outdated?

Shevek shevek at shevek.co.uk
Fri Jul 19 03:06:44 EDT 2013

On 19 July 2013 06:19, Xtra <terryandsheena at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> ... scroll through often repeated screeds of historical
> background ...

Which is why you should only quote pertinent details and not everything else

> Top-posting a reply seems more efficient while providing the history (below
> it) if a newcomer is interested.

So, when you open a book, or a newspaper, or indeed an email, do you
read from the bottom of the page to the top?

Top posting in response to a question or statement is simply confusing
as the reader will read the answer, then have to scroll down to find
what the question was, possibly from 6 or 7 other incorrectly quoted
paragraphs!

> I don't know how others feel, but time for me, and in most other forums,
> runs downwards.

only for listings of posts, to show most recent activity first. 99% of
the forums I visit  (across a hugely varied subject range) all quote
properly and bottom post in the actual topic replies.

This is a mailing list, it is not the same as you having an email
conversation with your mother/brother/friend/colleague.

replying to a post here, quoting the entire message and then top
posting is simply laziness.

YOU are putting all the effort required to figure out what your reply
is onto the reader. YOU should take the (very small) effort to
properly format your response so that the reader can simply read from
top to bottom.

After all, that is how we've been reading (at least in the "west")
since reading began!

+1 for properly quoted and bottom posting from me