Under the radar

michael norman michaeltnorman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 05:47:32 EDT 2013

On 17/07/13 10:31, Philip Colmer wrote:
>> get_iplayer differs fundamentally from a VCR/PVR in that programs may be
>> recorded without the use of an aerial feed and, therefore the need to
>> acquire a TV Licence.
> Isn't that what Sky, Virgin and YouView offer, though? They all download the
> programmes over the Internet and store locally on a harddrive for playing
> without further use of bandwidth.
>
> Regards
>
> Philip

The difference is that unless your pvr box offers a (legitimate without
hacking it) way of transferring your content from its own hd to another
external hd wherever that might be the material stays on the box.

With get_iplayer you have them on your pc to do with as you might wish.

bbc iplayer on a pc (windows only last time I cheeked) has (or had I
don't use bbc iplayer on windows) the facility to download the content
to a local directory, but it is automatically deleted after 3 weeks.

get_player looks in your download directory and warns you to delete
programmes over 3 weeks old.  It then becomes a matter of trust whether
you do so or just put them somewhere else.

 From the point of view of the BBC that strikes me as an attackable
weakness in get_iplayer.

FWIW I am not intending to start a debate about the fair use of digital
content that belongs elsewhere.