New get_iplayer website & forums

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jul 16 18:39:55 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 22:36 +0100, Jonathan H wrote:

> And this mailing list is doing my head in - the software is so
> hopelessly antiquated, it won't even tag subject lines with
> "get_iplayer".

Why would it do that? The reverse-path of the message clearly identifies
where it comes from, so if you want to filter list traffic into a
separate folder you can do it cleanly and safely without false positives
when someone explicitly adds you to Cc.

Adding noise to the subject line is just pointless.

>  And it also defaults to replying to the sender, not the
> list (as I just noticed after my post failed to appear after 8 hours!)

Your mailer has a 'private reply' and a 'reply to all' feature, surely?
If you choose 'private reply' (often just labelled 'reply'), why would
you be surprised at what it does?

Some mailing lists do have an abusive setup which hijacks the *private*
reply and makes it go back to the list. And thus, things which were
meant to be *private* can end up being sent to the public list. That's a
stupid way to configure a list.

Yes, it might be inconvenient occasionally if someone forgets how to
drive their own mail client and uses the private reply instead of the
group reply. But the failure mode is relatively harmless — you just send
the message again, correctly this time. The failure mode when a private
message ends up in public can be *much* worse.

--
dwmw2