get_iplayer Digest, Vol 39, Issue 33

* * at leonin.co.uk
Sat Jul 13 12:31:40 EDT 2013

On 13/07/2013 17:14, Michael Bannerman wrote:
> What platform are you using, Prisca?
>
> Linux is easier to copy and paste than windows--I've found.  Linux is
> straight forward, whereas one needs to right click on the command line
> and then choose "paste" in the terminal in windows. Once you've
> grasped that, it's easy to substitute the parameter you want to change
> in a preset command (e.g.--my usual command line of "get_iplayer
> --pid=b01xxxxx --modes=flashhd,flashvhigh --force").
>
> Also, linux will keep commands from session to session, whereas
> windows only keeps commands from open sessions.  That is, you can
> resume commands closed, previous sessions in Linux.  Press F3 in
> windows on a new session, and nothing happens:  any old commands are
> gone.
>
> Did that last comment make sense?

Hi Michael

Sort of :)

I'm using Win7. I've dabbled with Linux but it's a steep learning curve
for me and I don't have the time to really get to grips with it at the
moment. Roll on retirement!

I've set up preferences for file naming etc and I'm mainly using the PVR
web search to download. So far I've found this easier to do than using
the command line, particularly when I'm downloading several radio
programs at a time. I've not really used it for TV except to experiment,
but I don't watch much TV anyway. I have 3 hours of commuting a day so
radio dramas keep me entertained while driving.

I've just figured out how to create a batch file using regular
expressions with Advanced Renamer. This has given me the desired result
to remove the time stamp at the end of the broadcast date so it's a
workable work around and at least I now know the limitations of
Get_Iplayer. I'll just have to remember to run the renamer before

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Prisca