copious verbose debug logs

Robert Snelling h3q7f at rcs0000.me.uk
Fri Jul 12 18:20:44 EDT 2013

I have been using Jon's testing PPA for some time now and I only use it
at the command line (not web GUI). I have accumulated many logs made
using the GNU/Linux utility "script" (makes a transcript of what goes on
at the command line). This is running under Ubuntu, fully updated with
"apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade". I use the "verbose"
option to output info useful for debugging (although I lack the skills
to do so). I am making these logs available to this mailing list for
that purpose on an "as is" basis only. Please do not share them outside
this mailing list, and don't let them get into any public web search
engines eg Google, Bing, etc. When I first joined the mailing list I got
an modified rtmpdump binary to try out from Neill Mitchell. He asked me
to get back to him about how I got on with it. I have been meaning to do
so ever since, but not got round to it until now  - sorry for the great
delay. I wasn't using Jon's PPA then but I do now.

Back at then, there were concerns about rtmpdump running out of buffer
space. The modified version seemed to help somewhat, but I can't really
be objective about it now.

At present, GIP/rtmpdump produces a lot of debug output when, I think,
it doesn't know what to do with the data it's receiving. I don't know
what the cause of this is. But I may be mistaken about what's going on.

I think that, to a user who's running it at the command line without the
verbose option, that it would appear as though downloads are getting
stuck temporarily part way through and then after a while the
application usually manages to resume or restart that download.

The log files are made using the "script" utility and contain some
terminal control sequences for colouring the text etc, although I have
just in the last few days tried to set it up to avoid that, but I thinks
it's avconv that's still using coloured text despite this.

I have rolled the many log files up using "tar -czf [filename] [....]".
The resulting file should be available through Dropbox at the following
URL (I suggest using the GNU/Linux utility "wget":-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4k6n9epeqsvrp0q/L4SdJE9Olu/rollup_001.tar.gz

Please note that the above URL is meant to be all on one line with no
spaces.

It is also possible to use a web browser pointed to:-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4k6n9epeqsvrp0q/7CxtgbMRYm

to view the folder/directory containing that file on Dropbox.

Please note that although the file on Dropbox is only approx 55 ish
megabytes (that's REAL power-of-2 megabytes, not cheat power-of-10
ones), it untar's to approx 577 megabytes (real megabytes again).