Error when starting get_iplayer (0xc0000142)

Alexis Fotiadis alexisfotiadis at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 12 13:20:44 EDT 2013

> From: alexisfotiadis at hotmail.com
>
> 1. Windows 8 update (Thu morning)
> 2. Low battery shutdown
> 3. get_player = 0xc0000142 error
> 4. reinstalled get_player -> same error
> 5. System Restore to before update -> same error
> 6. sfc/scannow & C: scan -> "Corrupt files successfully repaired."
> -> get_iplayer goes through BBC cache then exits.
> 7. uninstalled get_player
> 8. reboot
> 9. Windows 8 update (same as before, which I'd rolled back with System Restore)
> 10. reinstalled get_player -> 0xc0000142 error
>
> From that it seems to be the Windows 8 update that's causing the 0xc0000142 error. Not sure what else I can try...

>I run Win 8 (64 bit), fully patched and have no problems with
>get_iplayer, so the problem seems to be specific to your rig (sorry
>that its no real help!)

I did another System Restore to the weekend when v2.83 worked i.e. before the latest Win 8 update, just to confirm. The 0xc0000142 error no longer appears! But get_iplayer again has the same problem that I had since November :-( So the issue is definitely a Windows gremlin, possibly specific to my Samsung laptop?

Current issue:
Run get_iplayer.cmd
cmd prompt window appears
 -> "get_player v2.83, Copywrite etc"
 -> scrolls through list of currently available BBC programs
 -> Total: ~1000
 -> cmd prompt window appears

Run

>You could, of course, switch to a user friendly linux operating system.
>I use openSUSE with KDE desktop and have great results on my laptop.
>My wife otoh has windows 7 on her laptop and is always having to ask me
>to help sort out problems.  Forgive the slightly OT post but any port in
>a storm!
>Budgie

I don't think I'm computer-literate enough (or currently have the time to learn to be) to change operating system...Windows is 'usually' ok for my level of computer usage. Aside from my current get_iplayer issues that is :-)