get_iplayer v.v. Radio Downloader

Chris J Brady chrisjbrady at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 6 09:27:50 EDT 2013

Sadly from experience get_iplayer is not a viable alternative to Radio Downloader - largely due to the former's or its associated apps' instability.

1/ I have tried to set up a WebPVM List - it took hours in between crashes of the Perl script - always at line 307 being unable to 'fork' whatever that means.

2/ Then there are the empty packets reported by RTPDump which always terminates a download. And attempts by the PVM List to restart the download a failed operation always ends up in a cycle of failures that go on and on. To stop this the Perl command window and WebPVM window have to be manually closed / crashed.

3/ And the latest irritation is that many downloads are apparently completing successfully but when I check the file sizes / recording lengths I find that they are in fact truncated. Deleting these bad files from the download directory doesn't work and runing the PVM List again doesn't work, because the history file already thinks that they have been downloaded successfully and it refuses to let them be downloaded again.

This then means gong into the history file and manually editing out the reference to the bad files, and then trying again.

An alternative is to use --force but this is only available in command mode not in the Web PVM window; but the Wiki documentation on --force is in the 'still to do' category.

4/ get_iplayer needs a rock steady broadband of wifi connection. Any hiccup immediately results in empty or lost packets which results in a failed download and likely manually termination of the PVM List.

I have about 13 programmes in my PVM List - when I run this I am lucky to get two successful downloads. Then I have to clear up the mess left behind by the failures such as editing the history file or deleting partial files. Then I have to try again and again and again; eventually resorting to --force for the last few rogue downloads.

CJB.