Radio Download Alternatives

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Fri Jul 5 09:12:23 EDT 2013

(please reply to the list, not to me)

On 4 July 2013 15:41,  <michael.mpireland at virgin.net> wrote:
> One thing Radio Downloader did that I found useful was to offer a very wide-ranging - maybe
> even comprehensive - list of BBC radio programmes to which one could subscribe on the
> offchance that they might reappear.
>
> In addition if one subscribed to the News Quiz, say, one's subscription was not restricted to
> the current series.
>
> Maybe these features are hidden somewhere in get-iplayer but, if so, I have not found them.

I routinely use get-iplayer to do just this.  I use the command line
because that suits me, so something like

   get_iplayer --type radio "News Quiz" --pvr-add news_quiz

will download everything with "News Quiz" in the name, regardless of
what series it is.

You can do the same through the web interface by entering some search
terms which match the programme/s youre' interested in (without
specifying the series number) and clicking "Add Search to PVR".  (The
"Add Series" link against a programme picks a search that includes the
series number - which matches what the button says but isn't what you
want ;-)

> One could therefore say that get-iplayer is restricted to the current offerings but Radio
> Downloader could be used to be on the watch for repeats of past favourtes.
there are ways of doing pretty much anything with get_iplayer - the
challenge is almost always working out how to, or finding where in the
rather distributed documentation to find out.

> Many thanks to the maintainers of both programs.
that would be almost entirely dinkypumpkin nowadays.

Regards
Jon