FLV to MP4

Simon Morgan s.morgan at skm.org.uk
Wed Jul 3 08:07:30 EDT 2013

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 23:41 +0100 (BST)
From: "J K.Eason" <john at jeason.cix.co.uk>
To: get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
Subject: Re: FLV to MP4

> *From:* dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com>
> *To:* get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
> *Date:* Tue, 02 Jul 2013 21:16:14 +0100

> The default is now best available SD.  You still need to opt in to
> HD with --modes=best.

Yes. Sorry. I forgot there were three qualities available. I set mine in
the options to default to flashhigh then fall back to the lower modes
many moons ago.
To be honest, I can't actually see any difference between SD and HD even
on my 32" TV, so downloading in HD just takes longer and uses more disk
space as far as I am concerned.

Regards
       John

------------------------------

As others have noted, I find HD noticeably superior to SD on my 42 inch
Panasonic Viera which is a somewhat unusual TV in that it has built in
Freesat and Freeview. Subjectively, I have felt that the Freesat image is
better than the Freeview but most probably all in my mind. Certainly the
smaller the TV, the less noticeable is the difference between HD and SD in
my experience.

I use the PVR interface and have set the default to "Best". I use the PVR
interface almost exclusively as, to be quite frank, it seems to do
everything I want so thanks to all the good folks who maintain the excellent
software.

To stray into another subject, I find the BBC Radio 3 downloads in AAC
format are excellent and only convert to a lower quality mp3 if I want to
copy to my smart(ish) phone.

Simon Morgan