get_iplayer just stopped working

Alastair ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 04:32:51 EST 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 02:00:16 +0000 dinkypumpkin wrote:

>On 27/01/2013 22:13, Alastair wrote:
>>I have done uninstall and re-install of get_iplayer, rtmpdump, librtmp0.  I had to force the
>>librtmp0 removal as there were 256 dependencies which otherwise would have had to be
>>rolled back.  All the versions appear to match except that ffmpeg is old version and I
>cannot
>>upgrade without having to roll back a many others.  This I don't understand.
>>I can post all the version numbers tomorrow but am on different machine right now.
>
>256 dependencies - cripes.  No need to post version numbers given what you've said
>below.
>
>>I seem to have two versions of librtmp.so.0. one in usr/lib64 of 115.6KiB modified
>>01/11/2012
>>and one in /usr/local/lib of 119.0 KiB modified 10/01/2012.  I am sure the latter is
>>redundant and have no idea why it is there.  The dates did not change with the
>>reinstallation!
>
>The date on the one in /usr/lib64 squares with the packman build.  My guess is that the
>one in /usr/local/lib is causing the problem.  It will get linked in preference to the one in
>/usr/lib64.  It almost certainly doesn't match the rtpdump installed from packman.  At least
>one incompatible API change was introduced to librtmp in mid 2011, so it's possible -
>though impossible to know - that your /usr/local/lib version was built with some old code
>that is incompatible with the packman rtmpdump.  Anyway, I would say to remove the
>/usr/local/lib version of librtmp.so.0 and see what happens.  And make sure there isn't an
>old version of rtmpdump hanging around in /usr/local/bin.

Hi, Looks like that was it.  I removed all three librtmp related files from usr/local/lib and now get_iplayer seems OK.
I say seems because on the text download I just tried I received a bunch of error messages:
ERROR: DECODING ERROR, IGNORING BYTES UNTIL NEXT KNOWN PATTERN!
After half a dozen lines of this it continued and started to download as normal.
I have never seen this before so have no idea if it is significant or an artifact of some packet loss on the way.

I have a backlog of stuff in my pvr list to run tonight so will report back.  I still have outstanding questions concerning updates but need to look at what Carl is proposing to clean up
my system.
Meanwhile many thanks for your help once more.
Regards,
Alastair.