rtmpdump updates for raspberry pi/raspbian

Alex Eames alex at translatortips.com
Thu Jan 24 04:40:27 EST 2013

On 23/01/2013 19:38, Jon Davies wrote:

> Let me know how these builds work ;-)

Here's a report using Jon's new debs for the Pi....

I ran a couple of tests last night with a Pi and memory stick, but the
results were a bit slow.
The connection was a bit poor last night.
This morning I rebooted the router and decide to use a NAS  for the
downloaded file.

Internet connection nominal 30 Mbaud
(tested today at 0924: 28.97 Mbps)

Pi was attached to NAS mounted via cifs through Gigabit ethernet.

I downloaded Locomotion Episode 1 in HD
start time 0900

20%  downloaded 0903
40%  downloaded 0906
71%  downloaded 0911
85%  downloaded 0912
100% downloaded 0915

1068546.537 kB total

remuxing finished 0919
file write finished 0922

connection speed measured immediately afterwards: 28.97 Mbps

CPU monitoring...

During download:
rtmpdump using 12-15% CPU
flush-cifs-1 intermittently using up to 47% CPU

While remuxing:
ffmpeg 33%
cifsd ~20%
flush-cifs-1 ~ 44%

Tagging/file write:
flush-cifs-1 ~44% CPU
cifsd - 27% CPU
Atomic Parsley ~ 16% CPU

And the most important test of all - watching the file works perfectly. :)

Verdict EXCELLENT! Thanks Jon :) ~1 Gigabyte program downloaded and
processed in 22 minutes.
I don't think the Pi will do much better than that (although I could try
it with an EXT4 USB HDD -
that would be  quicker on the file writes)