Sending Progs to Heroes

Chris J Brady chrisjbrady at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 12:24:06 EST 2013

I have recently experimented with private torrents. BitTorrent / uTorrent / etc. have built-in trackers. So long as the ports agree between the seeder and receiver the p2p share appears to work well. This may be a solution for you to send progs to your Arrse folks.

Firstly you create and email them the torrent file for the prog on your computer, then all they have to do is to open it as usual.

You can communicate before hand to agree on port numbers. Then the torrents work as normal.

Of course your computer seeds to them and so has to remain on until the download has finished. If you switch the computer off, and then on again, the ports might be changed dynamically - in which case the recipients also have to change the ports on their version of the torrent.

It sounds complicated - but it is really easy.

Best to try with two computers side-by-side to get a feel for how things work.

CJB.