RadioArchive.cc - RIP

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Fri Jan 18 05:20:03 EST 2013

On 18 January 2013 09:57, Chris Marriott <chris at chrism.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Actually, Jon, British copyright law is surprisingly lax when it comes to
> radio broadcasts.  Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the copyright on UK
> radio broadcasts, in its article "Copyright Law of the United Kingdom" [snip]
>
> Hence recording or copying a radio broadcast for non-commercial purposes is
> not a copyright infringement.

Two things:
(a) note that there's a distinction between a broadcast and making an
audio or video stream available on the net. Loosely speaking it's a
broadcast if it's the same as what's currently being broadcast over
terrestrial or satellite.  So the live streams on the BBC site are
broadcasts, the iPlayer content is not.
(b) quoting a wikipedia articel whose factual accuracy is noted as
"disputed" doesn't make a strong argument

>From the Act itself, the right to issue copies of a work to the public
is reserved to the copyright owner.  The fair dealing provisions
enable certain archiving, academic and personal uses, but don't allow
public distribution.  Uploading to TPB feels like public distribution
to me.

Anything that's no longer in (or was never in) copyright is clearly a
different matter.

> It may of course be against the iPlayer terms
> of service, but that's a different matter.
different to copyright, but still one of the points of my email.

Regards
Jon