Stream corrupt error and then rtmpdump goes nuts

Neill Mitchell neill at nlkmitchell.com
Thu Jan 10 11:11:51 EST 2013

Yes, I see exactly the same problems. I've upped the TCP buffers to 12MB
and it's still unreliable. When you think about it, if the program can't
keep up then it doesn't matter how big you make the low level TCP
buffers, rtmpdump's own buffer will overflow. The TCP buffers are there
to optimise the naturally bursty nature of normal data transfers. But
these streams are a sustained download of hundreds of megs.

I think this is down to purely down to loop overhead processing speed.
When rtmpdump has 1KB buffers it simply can't loop round fast enough to
keep up with the data pouring in at 80MB/sec. With 4KB buffers the loop
runs at a quarter of the frequency and it manages.

This is all conjecture of course, but the only way I'm managed to
achieve reliability since upgrading to Infinity 2 is to either
artificially throttle my connection, or up rtmpdump's buffers.

Cheers
Neill.