Stream corrupt error and then rtmpdump goes nuts

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 09:38:58 EST 2013

On 09/01/2013 15:01, Neill Mitchell wrote:
> Hmm. Just had 2 failures with the same old problem. So it looks like
> upping the low level TCP buffers sizes are not the cure for this.
> Reverted to my tweaked rtmpdump and reliability returns.

Are you seeing exactly the same thing ("Wrong data size" error followed
by bogus chunksize values), or just general rtmpdump misbehaviour?  This
may not be relevant, but your initial report was missing most of the
trace log, so we couldn't see what was happening as the connection was
set up and the stream initiated.

I think you would need a larger max receive buffer size to make a valid
test.  From your earlier report, stock rtmpdump only worked reliably up
to 30 Mbps with the default receive buffer settings.  That means with
the throttle open you would need to buffer 50 Mbps, which is well north
of 4 MB.  You're achieving roughly the same effect by increasing
rtmpdump's internal buffer size by 4x.

Of course, this pre-supposes that the garbage values fed to rtmpdump
stem solely from data lost due buffer overflows.  It could just be that
the Flash server is misbehaving or is not sufficiently robust, in which
case no amount of tuning will make a difference.