Ability to specify a temporary directory.

John G. Dargie john.g.dargie at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 19 05:37:15 EST 2013

Would it be straightforward to allow for a temporary directory to be specified.

Why?
I am using get_iplayer with --file-prefix to specify a networked drive as my destination.
This means the files are first downloaded as FLV containers to that location, and then transcoded from and to that networked location.  Whilst the end-result is good, it is much slower than it needs to be because of the overhead of writing to and from the networked drive.  This is most noticeable when the transcoding is happening which means writing FROM and TO the network drive at the same time.

So
I'd like to be able to specify a temporary location (--temp-dir?) so that the following happens:
a) Download FLV file to my temporary location on my local drive (--temp-dir?)
b) Transcode FROM the temporary location, outputting TO final destination (--file-prefix).

I would expect the existing behaviour to happen if no temporary directory was specified.

Does that sound reasonable and feasible?

John.