Audio bit rate settings

Heff heff101 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 12:04:15 EST 2013

I'm not sure exactly how to reply to messages as I haven't received any
email/replies on this topic, but here goes at replying from the
archives...

Kapitano - you are right that it shouldn't be too bad at that bitrate
and that, plus your explanation of how GiP extracts and doesn't convert,
got me investigating. Long story short - you are correct, there was a
problem with my audio hardware.

Slightly longer story - it turns out that there is a documented bug with
SPDIF playback through an Asrock A75m-itx motherboard running Ubuntu
12.04 LTS. I've been setting up my new HTPC and apparently it was a
minor miracle that it was working at all, so poor playback was
inevitable I suppose.

Anyway, I switched to a direct 6 channel input off the motherboard to my
receiver (it's an old receiver and doesn't have HDMI input) and saw a
marked increase in quality. Now everything doesn't sound like it's
inside a fish bowl!

So, problem solved and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.