Windows installation method

Steve Dimond steve at hillrise.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 10 11:00:36 EST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Vangelis forthnet [mailto:northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr]
Sent: 09 February 2013 23:52
To: get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
Subject: Re: Windows installation method

On Sat Feb 9 19:07:15 GMT 2013, Steve Dimond wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I should like to install get_iplayer on my brand new Windows laptop.
>When I installed get_iplayer before I used a program called something
>like get_iplayer_setup_latest which was linked to from
>http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html.
>However, this
>website is down now and I don't have the link to the program. Would
>someone please be so kind as to post the link, or if the program is no
>longer available, point me to an alternative installation method for
Windows PCs?

On Sat Feb 9 22:23:35 GMT 2013, David Woodhouse wrote:

>Sorry, it's another power outage in the data centre  ...
>Should be back on Monday.

Hello Steve :-)
 If you're in a hurry, the "webarchive" has a snapshot of the official site,
dated Mar 11th 2012; this is after the time the windows installer was last
updated, now being at version 4.5 (uploaded on infradead.org on
02-Nov-2011).
Go to this URL:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120311122304/http://www.infradead.org/get_iplay
er_win/

and download "get_iplayer_setup_latest.exe" , which is the same as
"get_iplayer_setup_4.5.exe" ; this will get you the installer you're
after...
 However, this installer downloads stuff (the dependencies) from the
internet, and for this it needs the info inside the file
"get_iplayer_config_latest.ini" .
This is the part I'm not sure of: if that .ini resides inside the installer,
then I presume the downloading should proceed normally - however, if the
installer cheks the contents of the .ini online from infradead.org
(currently down), then no downloading will occur. In that case, you may open
the .ini in your browser from this URL:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120311053336/http://www.infradead.org/get_iplay
er_win/get_iplayer_config_latest.ini
and download the dependencies manually, using the given URLs.
You'll have to manually un-zip/un-7z the packages using 7zip (free).
However, if you are not in a hurry and don't feel particularly adventurous,
you should wait, as advised by David, till the site is properly up...

Regards.
---End Original Message---

Hi,

Thanks for the information and help. I think I'll wait until the website is
back.

Regards,
Steve

database 7991 (20130210) __________