Strange mismatch of pid and radio program

Budgie ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Tue Dec 17 15:12:47 EST 2013

Hi Vangelis,

On 17/12/13 17:09, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> On Tue Dec 17 13:25:23 GMT 2013, Budgie wrote:
>
>> I have Composer of the Week as a regular
>> download using pvr.
>> I have had no problems, I assume because pvr uses
>> programme name not pid.
>
> Hello once again, Budgie!
> I do hope you are sorting out your problematic audio files...

I wish!!!  Have been deflected by another problem; see my post
concerning Seek Tables.

> Without peaking into the internal intricacies of the PVR
> (which I believe is part of the main get_iplayer perl script),
> and only because I do not use it, I'd say that the PVR uses
> the same "mediaselector4" URL that the CLI does, so that
> normally there shouldn't be a difference between the file
> downloaded manually via the CLI or the one downloaded via
> a scheduled PVR run; and - I stand to be corrected on that -
> "programme name not pid" shouldn't make a difference either,
> as the "Programme Name" eventually points GiP to a pid to
> use for its download function...
>
> Just to make sure, please check among the folder/list of your
> "Composer of the Week" recordings that the episode for
> Tue 10/12/2013 (titled  Iceland_2._The_Geyser_Erupts)
> is indeed the correct one, with an ~ 1hr duration.

Looks OK to me.  Correct episode and duration 1:06:00 according to VLC.
  Not tried to play it yet as it has not been uploaded to NAS.

> If it is, then a logical explanation would be this:
>
> Sometime after the first broadcast of the radio show
> (that initially aired on Tue 10/12/2013 @12:00 GMT)
> the beeb uploaded the correct 1hr long audio file on the CDN;
> "RBN2_radio_3_-_tuesday_1200_b03kp7xl_2013_12_15_10_41_50.mp4"
> this remained there until later in that same day a scheduled
> repeat of the show aired at 18:30 GMT - it shouldn't have been, but a
> second (wrong) audio file was uploaded to the CDN, this one
>
> "RBN2_radio_3_-_tuesday_1830_b03kp7xl_2013_12_11_10_50_20.mp4"
>
> and the ms4 URL redirected to this new one, while the ms5 URL still
> pointed to the
> correct initial one...
>
> So it seems highly probable that you had been lucky and your scheduled
> PVR run
> was performed sometime during that short time frame between, say, 13:30
> GMT ->
> 20:00 GMT last Tuesday, when only the one (correct) audio file was there
> for grabs...

My --pvr runs as daily cron job at 02:10 hours.

> OT: May I take this opportunity to wish all of those reading this a
> very Merry Christmas (.i.e. for the Christians among you that observe
> it) and
> a Happy New Year (only the Gods and the BBC know what, if any, havoc awaits
> get_iplayer and us users come next year, with the announced advent of DRM'd
> audio downloads...)
>
> Festive Greetings,
> Vangelis.

And to you my best wishes for Christmas and the New Year and thanks once
more for your kind help.

Budgie