Automatic Downloading of Regular Episodes

Don Grunbaum don at grunbaum.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 15:03:37 EDT 2012

> I'm sure Windows systems can be bludgeoned to have similar
> functionality...
> but may not keep on doing the job unattended for several years at a
> time
> (the low-power PC that does my getiplayer stuff is a headless EeePC
> that I
> don't touch more than a couple of times a year).
>
> Andy

Windows doesn't need bludgeoning.

Simply set up a Scheduled Task through Control Panel to run every
night. Mine runs get_iplayer--pvr.bat at 00.01 as my ISP doesn't count
usage between midnight and 8 a.m.

I use the Web PVR manager with no problems to control what programmes
are downloaded.

Be careful of programmes with punctuation marks in the title (e.g.
"Who Do You Think You Are?") as they might need a bit of tampering
with what the web pvr set up. The only occasional missed programme
gets picked up the following night if it hasn't been listed on iPlayer
when the job runs.

I run using a Samsung Notebook using Windows 7 Starter, but transfer
the files to an external 1TB HD that is normally attached to a
different machine.

I have to admit that I use "Radio Downloader" for most radio
programmes as I had that before I found get_iplayer and some of its
features are better than those offered by the latter (IMHO).

HTH

Don