I haven't been able to download using PID for ages....

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:26:41 EDT 2012

On 26/09/2012 18:19, Christopher Woods (CM) wrote:

Some clarification for new users -

> get_iplayer --raw --output G:\iplayer\raw\ --modes
> flashaachigh,flashaac,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashaaclow --rtmptvopts
> "--swfVfy http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/revisions/18269_21576_10player.swf"
> --rtmpradioopts "--swfVfy
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/revisions/18269_21576_10player.swf" --force
> --get --type=liveradio --pid=pidhere

The --swfvfy value is built into get_iplayer.  There is no need to use
it on a command line unless you know of a case where the built-in value
no longer works.  Also, you don't need --get if you specify --pid.
Think of --pid as shortcut to download a specific programme when you
already know its unique identifier.

> a liveradio category result for the pid you enter. My golden rule is to
> always have --pid or --url at the very end of the string. Specifying the
> 10player URL stopped frame drops in videos when rtmpdump couldn't swfvfy
> properly.

There is no need to put --url or --pid at the end of your command line.
  get_iplayer's argument parsing is not sensitive to entry order.

> Using --raw obviates the transcoding (yeurgh). use FLVExtract to rip out
> AAC from the FLVs and then use YAMB (or MP4Box if you're not lazy like
> me) to remux as an M4A and get it seekable. For videos, I just leave as
> FLV as MPC can parse and decode them fine natively; when I remuxed as
> MP4 I had frame drift for whatever reason... and at that point I was
> happy enough anyway with the H.264 FLVs. :-)

To echo Señor Guano: get_iplayer does not transcode.  You only need to
re-mux files yourself if you wish to use a different tool or different
parameters.  If you prefer to use --raw and stick with FLV files, that's
fine.  But if you prefer to re-mux files to MP4 format and get metadata
tags, etc., the combination of get_iplayer and ffmpeg works pretty well.

If you're using YAMB and consistently seeing drift in re-muxed video,
get an up-to-date version of ffmpeg and let get_iplayer re-mux a few
programmes and then compare the results.  No guarantee it will be
better, but ffmpeg (as well as MP4Box) has come along a bit since YAMB
was released a few years ago.