I haven't been able to download using PID for ages....

Christopher Woods (CM) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Wed Sep 26 13:19:04 EDT 2012

--pid doesn't require an equals sign though it's probably perfectly
happy either way. These are my strings I've used since the time of the
dinosaurs and they continue to work marvellously:

get_iplayer --raw --output G:\iplayer\raw\ --modes
flashaachigh,flashaac,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashaaclow --rtmptvopts
"--swfVfy http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/revisions/18269_21576_10player.swf"
--rtmpradioopts "--swfVfy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/revisions/18269_21576_10player.swf" --force
--get --type=liveradio --pid=pidhere

For page-embedded media:

get_iplayer --raw --output F:\iplayer-j\get_iplayer\raw\ --modes
flashaachigh,flashaac,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashaaclow --rtmptvopts
"--swfVfy http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf" --rtmpradioopts
"--swfVfy http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf" --force --get
--type=radio
--url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/archive_pioneers/6506.shtml"

SPECIFY --url=" "  ! If you have no luck downloading embedded multimedia
in the page or it only downloads the first embedded media in a page with
several entries, go for a dip in the page's source code and find the
.xml playlist reference in the player code then specify that as the URL.

Other pointers:
--type=radio
or --type=liveradio

Live:
--type=livetv

on-demand:
--type=tv

I've found that I can leave some category specifiers in the string (e.g.
--type=liveradio) and get_iplayer will work around it should it not find
a liveradio category result for the pid you enter. My golden rule is to
always have --pid or --url at the very end of the string. Specifying the
10player URL stopped frame drops in videos when rtmpdump couldn't swfvfy
properly.

Using --raw obviates the transcoding (yeurgh). use FLVExtract to rip out
AAC from the FLVs and then use YAMB (or MP4Box if you're not lazy like
me) to remux as an M4A and get it seekable. For videos, I just leave as
FLV as MPC can parse and decode them fine natively; when I remuxed as
MP4 I had frame drift for whatever reason... and at that point I was
happy enough anyway with the H.264 FLVs. :-)