Can only watch BBC Parliament and BBC Alba live

Hawes, Mark MARK.HAWES at au.fujitsu.com
Sun Sep 2 19:51:48 EDT 2012

Hi,
I have been using get_iplayer for a few months now to download programs
that I have missed or look interesting and have had no problems.
However, when I try to use it to watch some live TV channels I have some
problems. BBC Parliament and BBC Alba will play live OK but all other
"livetv" channels (e.g. BBC One, BBC Two, BBC News) will not. I'm using
version 2.82 of get_iplayer (build c3aafce) running on a slackware 13.7
linux platform and playing the stream out through cvlc.
The commands I am using are:  'get_iplayer --stream --modes=best
--type=livetv "BBC Parliament" | cvlc -' which works, while 'get_iplayer
--stream --modes=best --type=livetv "BBC One" | cvlc -'  does not.
I notice that the available modes for the two working channels are
different, with BBC Parliament and Alba playing out OK using
'flashnormal' while BBC One and the other live channels try to use
'flashvhigh2' which is  unsuccessful. I have also tried explicitly
specifying each of the available modes for these channels, but again to
no avail.
Before pasting some logs with debug set I thought I'd ask if this is a
known problem with a quick fix, or perhaps something that will need a
bit of investigation.
Thanks,
Mark.